Join The Who Fan Club

The Who Official Band Website

November 2, 2012

The Who kick off ‘Quadrophenia and More’ tour

photo: property of the who.com

The Who kicked off their ‘Quadrophenia and More’ tour at a packed out BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida last night in true Who style.

They gave a stunning performance of Quadrophenia, with some great musical moments, including blistering guitar solos by Pete Townshend, and visuals and staging directed by Roger Daltrey.  The central idea behind Roger’s concept was to go back to its original idea. Jimmy, the central character’ was a character with four personalities, each loosely based on the four original band members of The Who – Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend (the surviving members) and Keith Moon and John Entwistle (sadly departed).

The visuals reflected the history of the band and the context of that history. It was as if the Roger and Pete of now are looking back, with the audience, at The Who of yesteryear.

At two key points, famous performances by John Entwistle and Keith Moon were worked into the visuals, to the delight of the audience.

The audience were less delighted, however, when Pete Townshend walked offstage towards the end of the second half of the performance and didn’t come back.  This was due to sound problems, which rendered the volume levels too high, but which will be sorted out for the next shows.

(It wouldn’t be a Who tour if there wasn’t some drama. And hats off to support act Vintage Trouble. What a warm up set. Don’t miss them! – Ed. the who.com)

The tour hits Orlando, Florida on Saturday, November 3rd. To buy tickets for this and/or other gigs on the tour, click  HERE.

For pics from the Sunrise show and to post your own pics and comments, if you were there, click HERE.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Who kick off ‘Quadrophenia and More’ tour

Cherl says: November 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm

At the concert last night in Sunrise. Great except for Pete’s sudden dissapearance and leaving the band looking like the had no idea what was going on. Luckily most of the audience had no idea until the show ended without the guys taking a bow. Perhaps something should have been told to the fans who I am sure feel ripped off, I kow I do!!

Saiid says: November 2, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I was there and I consider it an insult for Pete to sissy out and not come back. I paid in full to see a show in which half of the two people I wanted to see pussed out on us. Not cool Pete. And then for Roger to just say goodnight and walk off was ridiculous. I hope they don’t have another tour because if they do I won’t be there. A Who fan for forty years and I’m a bit pissed at their lack of respect for paying fans. Far as I’m concerned they owe me back the purchase price of my tickets which were over $300!

Nate Tritto says: November 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm

My wife and I attended the Sunrise opening last night and looked forward to it for months. We’ve both been huge fans since we were kids and were thrilled that they were playing Quadrophenia. Also we had yet to see the group live.

The performance was not particularly strong, but we knew it was the first show and the TWO are not spring chickens. We still had a great time and were moved by the experience until the end.

That unprofessional crap that Pete Townsend pulled was inexcusable. To walk off and leave your band mates and (high priced) ticket holders in dismay ruined the end of an otherwise great night. He could have come out and thanked the audience and explained is troubles but instead decided to be a diva and sulk like a toddler. We still love his talent and contribution to music, but he put a scar on his legacy.

Gerry Quinn says: November 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Can’t wait til dec 8, when the show hits Philly, I saw The Who about 30 times and Im taking my 25 year old girlfriend (I’m 49) who never heard anything but Baba O’Rielly(she calls it teenage wasteland). She wants me to go see Pink, No chance

Steve says: November 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hey Pete: Once again we need you in NY. Many people are going through a tough time, some folks have lost their homes and belongings, some are struggling without heat and electricity and we all are having a difficult time getting to work which increases the burden on those who are having a tough time supporting their families financially. I am a lucky guy but I care for those who have less. Our request is a simple one, when you come to Brooklyn in a couple of weeks you do what you have always done the many times I’ve been privileged to see the Who, simply put your heart and soul into it. I thing that will at least temporarily ease some of the difficulty and pain. New York has a great affinity for the Who and you are one of us. I look forward to the show, their is nothing live a Who show, nothing. Thanks

Steve

davy says: November 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

saw the who when i was 17 in nov.1971 in charlotte n.c.it was opening nightin the states for the tour promoting ‘WHO’S NEXT’!41 yrs to the day to be exact.the guys were in their mid 20′s then and it was my first concert.i sat kind of at a side angle close to the stage.could’t keep my eyes off of moonie the whole nite.WHAT A SHOW .A LOT OF TOMMY AND WHO’S NEXT SONGS WITH THEIR OTHER HITS.THIS WAS BEFORE QUAD.DROVE 300 MILES IN A 70 MACH ONE MUSTANG WITH MY BROTHER WHO HAD JUST COME HOME FROM NAM!A BLEW THE OLD CHARLOTTE COLOSIUM APART THAT NITE.I’M SEEN MOST ALL THE GREAT BANDS IN THE FOLLOWING YRS BUT THEY ARE AT THE TOP.SEEN THEM 3 TIMES IN FACT’ONCE IN 89 IN RALEIGH’GREAT BUT KNOW MOONIE AND IN LATE 90′S IN RALEIGH AGAIN.71 WAS MAGIC!I’VE SEEN STONES FRONT ROW TWICE’MCCARTNEY REAL CLOSE EAGLES 4 TIMES CLOSE NEIL YOUNG CSNY TEN YRS AFTER FRONT ROW IN 74ELTON’ROD’J GIELS’GRAND FUNK’ALL IN THE 70′S’HEART WAS GREAT’JOHN FOGERTY TWICE UP FRONT’ALWSOME.71 WHO TOPPED THEM ALL!!!!!AND MY SEATS WERN’T THAT GOOD COMPARED TO MOST OTHER GIGS I HAVE BEEN TO.WILLING TO PAY THE EXTRA MONEY FOR GREAT SEATS.ITS DEFINITELY WORTH IT.