Join The Who Fan Club

The Who Official Band Website

October 28, 2013

Pete Townshend blog entry: Storms and people passing….

The big storm passed through, not too bad where I live in London, but Rob Lee our webmaster lives by the sea on the south coast and I was worried for him. The storm ended a tumultuous few weeks.

Several people important to me have passed away. Peter Kay, a friend and chef who designed my kitchen passed away a few weeks ago leaving three daughters. He worked for the footballer Tony Adams charity Sporting Chance for many years. He was a lovely man who had health problems all his life. He passed peacefully.

Then it was Phoebe, the Irish woman who was one of the first group to come to Erin Pizzey’s Chiswick Women’s Aid – the Richmond house that Keith Moon visited, and that helped kick off Double O, the Who’s charity. Erin came from Ireland with eleven children, and was regarded as something of a saint in Brentford where she lived and died.

Then David Hooper passed away. He was the caretaker and watchman at Eel Pie Oceanic for many years; he had to stop work when he was hit by a truck on a pedestrian crossing and lost his leg. He managed to end a life of hard drinking in time to be a support to his estranged daughter when she was taken seriously ill ten years ago.

Yesterday I heard about the passing of Lou Reed. I’d been thinking about him after meeting Jean Michel Jarre last Saturday. He is a friend of Lou and Laurie Anderson. My heart goes out to Laurie whom I met briefly when Lou played with me at Rachel Fuller’s ATTIC JAM at Joe’s Pub in NYC. Lou seemed to have fun that night, and it was wonderful and easy for me to perform with this clear-sighted musician who I had expected to be so difficult.

Finally, yesterday, I learned than Bhau Kalchuri, the Chairman of the Avatar Meher Baba Trust in India, had passed away on Wednesday. Bhau was a good friend to me, and this week has been a strange one for me, with many swerves and ups and downs, and it didn’t surprise me when I heard he had died. Many Who fans will know I have been a follower of Meher Baba since 1967. Sometimes I am unsure of the sanity of believing that Meher Baba is God in human form, as he claimed. But Anita Viellard, a light-hearted and glamorous Parisian artist I knew very well, told Baba “We don’t mind you thinking you are God, we just love you anyway.”

So we had our little storm here in the UK. Nothing like Hurricane Sandy, but we know you are thinking about us just as we thought of you on the East Coast. I am very much alive. I hope Rob Lee still has a roof on his house, it is just 25 yards from the beach.

Pete Townshend, October 28, 2013

85 Responses to Pete Townshend blog entry: Storms and people passing….

Inezz Neuman says: November 2, 2013 at 1:24 am

“we love you anyway” I imagine that if there is such a thing as God, this is how he loves us.Mr Townshend, you are one of my hero’s so I just want to say thank you for the magic that is you.

Ted Maloney says: November 1, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Hey Townshend, thanks for bringing us down!

Yes, life is suffering….and it only seems to get more unsettled…like the weather. We all press on through our own storms and hope for some warm sunshine now and again.

Peace from our storm-battered shore to yours.

T
E
D

Ted Maloney says: November 3, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Of course, I was only trying to lighten to mood. Let’s try to smile and laugh in the sun whenever it shines.

Peace,

T
E
D

Howard says: October 31, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Hi Pete.

Just to let you know that you made my 12-year-old son Alex soooo happy to receive the signed photo of you on the Quadrophenia tour. He was bouncing off the walls for ages after opening the envelope then picked up his Telecaster and played Pinball Wizard.

Howard in Nottingham

Panayiotis says: October 31, 2013 at 6:45 am

hey Pete–

My heart goes out to you, with so much loss in such a short time. I suppose, we all know these things happen, and they sometimes come all at once. Several years ago, I lost 12 friends (many who I’d known for over 35 years!) in a period of 5 months. I barely had time to breathe and grieve for each of them, but somewhere I found the strength to remember each of them by finding a place in my heart to keep them, until that day when I will meet them all again. This gives me hope and something to look forward to. I suppose you’ll keep a little bit of each of these people in your heart, until that time as well.

Best to you from California (in San Leandro, just next to Oakland!). I sent you a note backstage some years ago, during the PSYCHODERELICT Tour, when you played the Berkeley Community Theatre. In it were the lyrics to the song “‘Til The Rivers All Run Dry” by Don Gibson…and a request to play it. You did it that night and I’ll always remember the tears of joy to hear it!! I even have a bootleg of the show which someone gave me!! Brilliant!! To say “thank you” isn’t enough. Anyway..just wanted to share with you.

Panayiotis (ie Pete the Greek)

Susan Leigh Miller says: October 31, 2013 at 5:24 am

Pete, hope you don’t mind my saying you are THE MUSIC GOD (as I told you in the note I gave you at the sound check in Oakland, CA this year). Just love me anyway!