Join The Who Fan Club

The Who Official Band Website

November 8, 2012

Pete Townshend – Tour Diary 7th November, 2012

Great to be in the USA on election day. I would have been happy for either candidate to win. There are pros and cons. The only longing I have is for the President to work more closely with the UK than he appears to have done before. As unpopular as they ended up with the deep thinkers, George W Bush and Tony Blair were friends, and that – to me – exemplified what I feel is most important about the relationship between the UK and the USA. We are above all else friends. Friendship is not ‘special’ (as in the ‘special relationship’), it is normal, and accepting…

And so the Who tour kicked off in the teeth of a hurricane, and our immediate duty to our millions of fans in the NorthEast is to promise that we will hopefully do more than just offer our prayers. While we’re here we’ll try to do something practical, as I am certain will all of our rock and pop buddies. Watch this space.

The shows so far? I’m doing great. The stage level is very quiet, and that suits me. I want to hang on to my hearing, which is still good enough to mix music like I did for the Quadrophenia Director’s Cut, and to cut my own demos at home. Roger is singing incredibly well. His vision is an interpretation of Quadrophenia rather than a straight narrative, and that seems to suit the period we are in as the two surviving members of the old Who, and our age. It FEELS great to me (I can’t see the screens behind me and I haven’t been able to see the entire set of projections because I was working right up until rehearsals) and that is the best measure for me. Roger and his creative team have clearly done a great job.

The audiences so far have been wonderful, and the shows promise to continue to improve. It’s great to see some old faces, but as always I’m glad to see a few younger people in the crowd, and I hope they haven’t been dragged along to check us out by nagging parents (or grandparents!).

Thanks to all of you who have bought my book.

Pete Townshend November 7th, 2012

For thewho.com

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

127 Responses to Pete Townshend – Tour Diary 7th November, 2012

Patricia2plant says: November 14, 2012 at 5:45 am

Being a fan of reading books and biographies especially I say well done. It seems like everyone has one coming out. Have not finished reading it 3/4 of the way but I can say that it is right up there with Keith Richards bio.
I think what I find most interesting is I think I have known the real you without knowing a thing about you really even though I have been a fan forever, became hard core in the eighties.
It is kinda like the time I shook your hand at an In the Attic show and was surprised to see that you were not very tall as I had imaged, it gave me a sense of how normal you really were.
Give my best to Rachel as I too think she has completed you so you can be a normal person.
I sure do miss her dog fart stories from her blog.

Caroline says: November 14, 2012 at 3:53 am

Very much looking forward to the Denver show in February. Bought tickets for my old college roommate from Detroit, my 13-year-old son, and myself. We rented the DVD so my son can get a better idea of the plot and music so we can enjoy the show instead of explaining any plot.

I bought your book and am enjoying the insight so far…teaching four classes, taking two myself…leaves little time to read for pleasure until December. :(

Thank you for sharing your life experiences, incorporating them into your music, thank you for your insight, and mostly, thank you for being “who you are”. My teens and 20s would not have been what they were without your inspiration. xxoo

Kathy says: November 14, 2012 at 3:17 am

What a wonderful time we had seeing the gang in Atlanta. It was such a great experience. As always, Roger and Pete were sensational. Simon, Zak and Pino were great. It’s the second time I’ve been blessed to see The Who perform here in Atlanta. We’ve also enjoyed seeing Roger and Simon on the Tommy Tour and Working with Eric Clapton on his last tour. They definitely inspire us to be better.

Chuck says: November 14, 2012 at 2:28 am

Pete:
Read the book and loved it. As I read I thought back to what I was doing at the same time period. Saw you in Pittsburgh on 11/7/12 and loved it. Don’t know if you could see, but those of us on the floor stood the whole show. I saw The Who for the first time in 1969 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit and I experienced the same excitement now as I did back then.Had my son with me for his first Who show. Thank you for the music.

Ms Clawdy says: November 14, 2012 at 12:33 am

Pete, I love ya, but clearly you don’t have a clue about what’s been happening in America, especially to women, racial minorities, the poor, and the elderly, or you’d never say you’d be happy for either candidate to win. A Republican presidency would’ve meant women’s rights to control their own bodies being taken away, tax leniency for the richest 2% of the population, uncontrollable healthcare costs and millions more people uninsured, more homes foreclosed, unequal pay for equal work, redefinition of rape laws to favor rapists, cuts to Medicaid and Social Security… the list goes on.
The fact that Bush and Blair became friends proves to many of us that Tony betrayed Labour principles. Bush was a criminal who brought our country to the brink of bankruptcy while enriching oil companies, Wall Street banks, and major corporations. His party has consistently committed frauds in the election process, which was why Al Gore wasn’t in the White House though he actually was elected.
You’re a great musician, writer, and performer– please don’t make statements on subjects in which you’re uneducated. It would’ve been a terrible, terrible thing for middle-class and working-class Americans for Romney to have become president. With Obama as President, we have a chance to get affordable health care, senior citizens won’t have to choose between eating or getting medicine, and women will still have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. Study up.

Kristopher Doe says: November 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Ms. Clawdy, very very well stated. I was shocked at Pete’s comment about either candidate winning. That doesn’t take away from my still looking up to and admiring Pete, Roger and the Who as legends and major contributers to my life’s landsacpe.