Join The Who Fan Club

The Who Official Band Website

August 15, 2013

Pete Townshend Calmly Ends One Direction Twitter Storm

Hot off the press (in UnCut) is a report on Pete Townshend’s blessing of One Direction and their track “Best Song Ever”.

Click  UNCUT.CO.UK for the full story.

It’s unlikely that die-hard Who fans will consider “Best Song Ever” to be the best song ever, even if it is. Nor, though, is it likely that many will cry or raise an eye at this story. It is, after all, only Tweet Age Wasteland.

Here’s Pete Townshend’s full statement, in which he responds to unsubstantiated claims that The Who have asked for the song to be withdrawn:

“No! I like the single. I like One Direction. The chords I used and the chords they used are the same three chords we’ve all been using in basic pop music since Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry made it clear that fancy chords don’t mean great music – not always. I’m still writing songs that sound like Baba O’Riley – or I’m trying to!. It’s a part of my life and a part of pop’s lineage. One Direction are in my business, with a million fans, and I’m happy to think they may have been influenced a little bit by The Who. I’m just relieved they’re all not wearing boiler suits and Doc Martens, or Union Jack jackets. The funniest thing is that in Canada this year I met with Randy Bachman once the leader of GUESS WHO who told me that he not only copied Baba O Riley for their hit You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet, but he even called his band after us. Why would I not be happy about this kind of tribute?”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Pete Townshend Calmly Ends One Direction Twitter Storm

Larry P says: August 16, 2013 at 2:40 am

“You ain’t seen nothin’ yet” was recorded by Bachman Turner Overdrive… not the Guess Who.

Ryan Carlson says: August 16, 2013 at 3:14 am

Ummm, it’s the same guy from both bands dude. Trust me, you don’t know more about music than Pete Townshend.

Sotski says: August 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

Larry, randy BACHMAN was an integral part of both the guess who and bachman turner overdrive. It’s as if we’re talking about Small faces and a humble pie song in the same breath.

Niko says: August 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Yeah but Pete was talking to Randy Bachman – guess where the “Bachman” in Bachman Turner Overdrive came from :)

The same guy has started a band called “guess who” and then copied Baba O’Riley for a hit with a different band.

Pat H says: August 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Nobody states that the song in question was recorded by the Guess Who. It only ties that group to the comment that follows about the naming of that band and that Randy was in it.

Code Mokey says: August 16, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Randolph Charles “Randy” Bachman, OC, OM is a Canadian musician best known as lead guitarist, songwriter and a founding member for both the 1960s–70s rock band The Guess Who, and the 1970s rock band Bachman–Turner Overdrive.

So you see … Pete was quite correct. Never question a legend of music.

chris says: August 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

My daughter will be so relieved to hear the news that her favorite band is out of trouble. Now if she will stop singing that darn song…