The Who By Numbers
Release Date: 10/1/1975
- SLIP KID
- HOWEVER MUCH I BOOZE
- SQUEEZE BOX
- DREAMING FROM THE WAIST
- IMAGINE A MAN
- SUCCESS STORY
- THEY ARE ALL IN LOVE
- BLUE RED AND GREY
- HOW MANY FRIENDS
- IN A HAND OR A FACE
- SQUEEZE BOX (Live)
- BEHIND BLUE EYES (Live)
- DREAMING FROM THE WAIST (Live)
THE WHO BY NUMBERS was originally released in the UK on October 3, 1975 (Polydor 2490 129), as a CD in the 1980s (Polydor 831 522-2), and as a remixed and remastered CD (Polydor 533 844-2) in November 1996. In the US it was released on 25 October 25 1975 (MCA 2161), then as a CD (MCA MCAD-37002) and as a remixed and remastered CD (MCAD-11493) in November 1996. Produced by Glyn Johns, all the tracks on THE WHO BY NUMBERS were recorded on the Shepperton Sound Stage using Ronnie Lanes mobile studio. Recording began with a jam session on 4 April, continued throughout May and overdubs were done in June. Mixing was done by Glyn Johns at Basing Street studios in Londons Notting Hill during July and August. Packaged in an individually numbered, self-deprecatory join-up-the-dots cartoon design by John, it reached #7 in UK and #8 in the US. All songs by Pete Townshend except where noted.
1. SLIP KID SLIP KID was tried on stage during the early stages of The Whos 1975 tour but quickly abandoned, though Pete has subsequently performed the song on his solo appearances.
2. HOWEVER MUCH I BOOZE Like SLIP KID, HOWEVER MUCH I BOOZE was tried on stage but soon abandoned.
3. SQUEEZE BOX Often played on stage, SQUEEZE BOX was released as a single in January 1976. It reached #10 in UK charts, and #16 in the US.
4. DREAMING FROM THE WAIST Aside from SQUEEZE BOX, DREAMING FROM THE WAIST was the only track from THE WHO BY NUMBERS to be played regularly on stage, where it gained eminence as a vehicle for Johns extraordinary bass playing.
5. IMAGINE A MAN
6. SUCCESS STORY (Entwistle)
7. THEY ARE ALL IN LOVE
8. BLUE, RED AND GREY This track features Pete singing solo, accompanying himself on ukulele, together with John on brass playing his own silver band arrangement. A group version of BLUE, RED AND GREY was also recorded but unfortunately the tapes of this have gone missing.
9. HOW MANY FRIENDS
10. IN A HAND OR A FACE Bonus tracks on remastered CD:
11. SQUEEZE BOX (Live) Recorded live at Swansea Football Ground on 12 June 1976.
12. BEHIND BLUE EYES (Live) Recorded live at Swansea Football Ground on 12 June 1976.
13. DREAMING FROM THE WAIST (Live) Recorded live at Swansea Football Ground on 12 June 1976.