Release Date: 1/1/1980
- YOU BETTER YOU BET
- DON’T LET GO THE COAT
- CACHE CACHE
- THE QUIET ONE
- DID YOU STEAL MY MONEY?
- HOW CAN YOU DO IT ALONE?
- DAILY RECORDS
- ANOTHER TRICKY DAY
- I LIKE NIGHTMARES
- IT’S IN YOU
- SOMEBODY SAVED ME
- HOW CAN YOU DO IT ALONE? (Live)
- THE QUIET ONE (Live)
FACE DANCES was originally released in the UK in March 1981 (Polydor 2302 106 WHOD 5037) and as a CD in the 1980s (Polydor 517 948-2). It is currently available as a remixed and remastered CD (Polydor 537 695-2) issued in 1997. It was released simultaneously in the US by Warner Bros (WB HS 3516) and as a CD (WB 3516-2), later reissued by MCA (MCAD 25-25987, MFSL 1-115). It is currently available as a remixed and remastered CD (MCA MCAD-11634) issued in 1997 After the death of Keith Moon, The Who regrouped with Kenney Jones on drums and, initially, concentrated on live work. The new look Who launched themselves in a barrage of publicity, playing their first concert at London’s Rainbow Theatre on May 2, 1979. It wasn’t until over a year later that work began on FACE DAANCES. Aside from the arrival of Kenney Jones, there were other changes in the traditional Who modus operandi: John ‘Rabbit’ Bundrick played keyboards on stage and on some of the newer numbers Roger played guitar on stage for the first time since the days of The Detours in 1962. Pete Townshend’s song FACE DANCES, incidentally, was never released by The Who. Pete recorded it for his own ALL THE BEST COWBOYS HAVE CHINESE EYES album in 1982. FACE DANCES was produced by Bill Szymczyk, while the reissue was produced, remixed and remastered by Jon Astley and Andy Macpherson with Bob Ludwig. FACE DANCES reached #6 in the UK LP charts, and #2 in the US. Tracks 1-12 were recorded at Odyssey Studios, London, from June 1980, and mixed at Szymczyk’s own studio, Bayshore, in Coconot Grove, Florida, at the end of that year. Original sleeve design and concept is by Peter Blake, with graphics by Richard Evans.
FACE DANCES features portraits of The Who by sixteen of Britain’s finest artists including Bill Jacklin, Tom Phillips, Colin Self, Richard Hamilton, Mike Andrews, Allen Jones, David Inshaw, David Hockney, Clive Barker, R.B. Kitaj, Howard Hodgkin, Patrick Caulfield, Peter Blake, Joe Tilson, Patrick Procktor and David Tindle.
1. YOU BETTER YOU BET (Townshend) An edited version of YOU BETTER YOU BET reached #9 in the UK singles charts. It was also re-released as a single with DON’T LET GO THE COAT as the B-side in 1983.
2. DON’T LET GO THE COAT (Townshend) DON’T LET GO THE COAT was released as a second single off the album in March 1981, coupled with John’s song YOU as the B-side.
3. CACHE CACHE (Townshend)
4. THE QUIET ONE (Entwistle)
5. DID YOU STEAL MY MONEY? (Townshend)
6. HOW CAN YOU DO IT ALONE? (Townshend)
7. DAILY RECORDS (Townshend)
8. YOU (Entwistle)
9. ANOTHER TRICKY DAY (Townshend)
Bonus tracks on remastered CD:
10. I LIKE NIGHTMARES (Townshend) This song was worked on during the sessions for FACE DANCES but left off the final recording.
11. IT’S IN YOU (Townshend)
12. SOMEBODY SAVED ME (Townshend) Pete subsequently re-recorded this song for release on his ALL THE BEST COWBOYS HAVE CHINESE EYES album in 1982.
13. HOW CAN YOU DO IT ALONE? (Townshend) Live from Chicago, 8 December 1979. This jam became the song that appeared on the album.
14. THE QUIET ONE (Entwistle) Live from Shea Stadium on 13 October 1982, the second of two memorable live shows by The Who at the same New York venue.